Module 1: The Laws of Special Education
This module will focus on the candidate developing an understanding of the three major laws that govern special education.
Yell, M. (2019). The Law and Special Education, (5th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.
Chapters 4, 5,and 6
Complete the Activities Section and Application Section of Module 1. All responses must be written in Word and submitted through Blackboard by the date articulated on the course syllabus.
You may use the text and/or outside sources to answer Questions 1A-D. All answers must be paraphrased and not copied directly from the textbook or outside sources.
- Describing the Laws (40 Points,; 10 Points Each)
- In one paragraph dedicated to each, provide a general description of The Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEA or IDEIA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (504), and The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- In one-two pages (total), compare and contrast the three laws by discussing their intended purposes and their applications in schools.
- In one paragraph, provide an overview of the intent of an Individualized Education Program (IEP).
- In one paragraph, provide an overview of the intent of a 504 Accommodation Plan.
- In the building in which you work, report the following (10 Points):
- Number of children being served with IEPs
- Number of children being served with 504 Plans
- The individual (title, not name) that is the ADA compliance officer
- What did you learn in this application?
- Who helped you access the information?