Explain the role of character and virtue in Aristotle’s philosophy?
Essay Question: (15 points each) Answer two of the following seven questions. Be sure to indicate which questions you are answering and answer them separately. To receive full credit be sure to answer the questions fully and completely. Each essay should have an introduction, body paragraphs, and a short conclusion. Always explain your ideas with reasons and/or examples.
Also, to get full credit for the essay questions, you must show clearly your understanding of the ideas in the questions and demonstrate some original thinking. You can not just copy information from the book and expect to get a good grade on the essay portion of the test.
Please indicate which two questions you are answering by writing the question or question number before you answer them. Also, separate the questions. Don’t run the answers together in one long response.
Choose one question from each chapter:
Do not choose two questions from the same chapter or you will lose all the points for one question.
Chapter 6: Aristotle
1. How does Aristotle’s definition of the Forms differ from Plato’s? What does Aristotle mean by formed matter? Explain clearly how Aristotle’s view differs from Plato’s. Then which one do you most agree with and why? Give reasons/examples to support your view.
2. How does Aristotle define entelechy? How is it important in Aristotle’s ethics? Finally evaluate Aristotle’s belief. Do you agree or disagree with him? Give reasons/examples to support your view.
3. What is Eudaimonia? How do we reach it? How does it compare to our modern view of happiness? Is it the same or different? Give reasons and/or examples to make your points.
4. Explain the role of character and virtue in Aristotle’s philosophy? Where do they come from? How do we acquire them? Give examples to make your ideas clear. Then do you agree with Aristotle’s views on this? Give reasons and/or examples to support your view.
Chapter 17: Nietzsche
1. What does Nietzsche mean by Will to Power? How does Nietzsche determine Good and Evil? Do you agree? Why or why not? Give reasons to support your views.
2. Describe in detail with examples Nietzsche’s idea of Slave morality and Master Morality. Do you agree with his ideas on this? Why or why not? Give reasons and examples to support your views.
3. How do you define the Will to Power? Give an example of it? What do you think of it and why?
4. Describe in detail what Nietzsche means when he says, “God is Dead”? What is the real significance of this statement? Do you agree with Nietzsche on this? Why or why not? Give reasons and/or examples to support your viewpoint.
5. What is perspectivism? How would Nietzsche say some perspectives are better than others? Do you agree? Why or why not?
6. Describe the role of the Overman and the Underman in Nietzsche’s philosophy. Do you agree with Nietzsche on this? Give reasons and/or examples to support your viewpoint.
7. Explain modern philosophy and then explain post-modern philosophy. How do they differ from each other? Which do you prefer and why? Give reasons and/or examples to support your view.